Make your own eco-friendly toothpaste
Making your own toothpaste is a great way to reduce your environmental impact by avoiding single use packaging and ensure that the ingredients you use are safe and natural. Here’s a simple recipe to get your started (but there are plenty of others).
This particular formula is safe to use and eco-friendly because it doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals or artificial ingredients. Baking soda and coconut oil work together to clean your teeth and freshen your breath, while peppermint essential oil provides a refreshing flavor. Stevia powder can be used to add sweetness without using artificial sweeteners.
- 4 tablespoons of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 10-15 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1-2 teaspoons of stevia powder (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix the baking soda and coconut oil until they form a smooth paste.
- Add the peppermint essential oil and stir to combine. You can adjust the amount of oil to your taste.
- If you want to add sweetness to your toothpaste, you can mix in the stevia powder.
- Transfer the toothpaste to a small airtight jar or container to keep in your bathroom.
- Brush away! Scoop a small amount of toothpaste onto your toothbrush and brush your teeth to your favourite song.
If you have any specific dental conditions or concerns, please chat to your dentist before switching to a homemade toothpaste.