Smart Energy For Switched-on Students GIVEAWAY!
Get an energy educational package worth over $7,000, free for your school!
Real-time and historical energy data is a great resource for school education, engaging students in understanding and responding to real-world challenges using their own school’s situation. Energy data maps to Information Technology (IT) and the Internet of Things (IoT), Mathematics, Science, Environment, Climate Change, Economics, Sustainability and more.Now, one lucky Australian school will be awarded a very special energy and education package to engage students in data-driven solutions for saving electricity, reducing power bills and cutting carbon pollution.
With a total prize value of over $7,000, the ‘Smart Energy for Switched-On Students’ giveaway is open to primary and secondary schools Australia-wide. Entries close 11.59pm Tuesday August 31, and the successful entrant will be announced on Thursday September 9.
Who’s behind this opportunity?
The prize has been created by smart energy technology companies Wattwatchers and Solar Schools, partners in the My Energy Marketplace (MEM) project, which is supported by grant funding from the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA).The three-year MEM project, which began in 2019, is installing subsidised smart energy management solutions at 5,000 homes and small businesses, plus 250 schools (recruitment is open to schools entering this giveaway – see details of subsidies below).
How do schools enter?
There are two simple steps to enter:
Check eligibility – this opportunity is open to all Australian schools (K-12) – including public, independent and private schools – with the exception of any that already have Wattwatchers and Solar Schools installed through the MEM or other programs. Schools can enter whether or not they already have rooftop solar installed, including those that are planning to add solar and those with other electricity management issues they want to prioritise such as targeting energy waste or cutting emissions.
Apply online – access the entry form below. You will need to provide your school’s name and location, a relevant school representative’s name and contact details (email and mobile number), and a brief written submission (maximum 100 words) summarising why the school wants to be awarded the prize.
You will also need to accept Terms and Conditions for this promotion.
What’s in the prize?
The school selected to receive the giveaway package will be:
- Installed with up to 2 Wattwatchers smart energy devices to monitor its electricity use from a main grid connection, plus generation from a solar system (if PV is installed) or major electrical loads such as air-conditioning
- Provided with a three-year subscription to the premium ‘Energy Hero’ software package from Solar Schools, including a teacher-led learning app called ‘Planet Watch’, training for teaching staff, and materials for integrating real-time and historical energy data into ready-to-use, curriculum-aligned unit and lesson plans (for years K-12).
$2,000 subsidies also available
Entrants that don’t receive the major prize are still eligible to receive over $2,000 each worth of subsidies from ARENA to install the Wattwatchers-Solar Schools combined solution for a minimum three years. In this case, however, co-contributions need to be paid by the school or on its behalf: either $1,097 +GST for an ‘Energy Starter’ pack, or $4995 +GST for the ‘Energy Hero’ premium level (see more details of the subsidised offers here). *The prize, valued at over $7,000 in total, consists of hardware (up to 2 energy monitoring devices and accessories), installation by an electrician, and the Solar Schools ‘Energy Hero’ software including data ownership (agreement to share is part of the T&Cs), school energy profile, customised display board readiness, curriculum-aligned teaching resource suite, Planet Watch educational app, web widgets, teacher refresher training, API endpoint for direct data access.
ARENA ACKNOWLEDGEMENT & DISCLAIMER MAY BE REQUIRED
The My Energy Marketplace project is receiving funding from ARENA as part of ARENA’s Advancing Renewables Program. The views expressed herein are not necessarily the views of the Australian Government, and the Australian Government does not accept responsibility for any information or advice contained herein.
Please read these Terms and Conditions carefully. Entry into the ‘Smart Energy for Switched on Students Giveaway’ is conditional on your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. You must read, agree with, and accept all of the terms and conditions contained in these Terms and Conditions. By entering this giveaway, you are bound to these Terms and Conditions.
- For the purposes of these Terms and Conditions, “The Promoter” refers to Solar Schools and Wattwatchers. The “Prize” refers to one My Energy Marketplace Energy Hero Package. Included in the package are two Wattwatchers smart energy solution packs (meters and CT clamps), meter installation by an electrician and three years of subscriptions for Solar Schools educational software, data and cellular communications.
- By entering the competition, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions. All entries must be received by 11.59pm on Tuesday, August 31. One (1) winner (school) in Australia will be selected by The Promoter on Thursday, September 9 and the winner (school) will be notified on or after this date.
- The Promoter’s giveaway with entry via Instagram, Linkedin, Facebook, Newsletter, and/or Blog is open only to residents of Australia. One (1) winner (school) will be chosen by The Promoter from all entrants and across all platforms.
- No purchase necessary. Winners will not be required to pay to enter the competition.
- Entry is open to all schools in Australia (i.e. primary and secondary; and state, private, religious and independent schools)
- Entries can be submitted by school personnel, school community organisations and individuals who would like to nominate the school (e.g. students, parents and other supporters)
- Entrants must be over 18 years old on the date of their entry.
- Employees of The Promoter are not eligible to enter.
- Instagram, LinkedIn or Facebook are not in any way affiliated or involved in the competition.
- Only one entry per person per competition will be accepted.
- Acceptance of these Terms & Conditions by an official school representative (principal or their appointee) will be required to claim the prize, including approval for Wattwatchers and Solar Schools to publicly identify the successful school at the completion of the promotion.
- Acceptance of the Solar Schools standard Terms and Conditions for use of educational software and sharing of the school’s energy data also will be required.
- The Prize will be awarded to a selected winner (school) that has entered via the official entry form. The Promoter will not be held liable if the named prize becomes unavailable or cannot be fulfilled.
- The Promoter will not be held liable for any failure of receipt of entries. The Promoter takes no responsibility for any entries which are lost, delayed, illegible, corrupted, damaged, incomplete or otherwise invalid.
- To the extent permitted by applicable law, The Promoter’s liability under or in connection with the competition or these terms and conditions shall be limited to the cost price of the Prize in question.
- To the extent permitted by applicable law, The Promoter shall not be liable under or in connection with these terms and conditions, the competition or any Prize for any indirect, special or consequential cost, expense, loss or damage suffered by a participant even if such cost, expense, loss or damage was reasonably foreseeable or might reasonably have been contemplated by the participant and the promoter and whether arising from breach of contract, tort, negligence, breach of statutory duty or otherwise.
- Prizes are non-negotiable, non-transferable and non-refundable. No cash alternative is available. Where a Prize becomes unavailable for any reason, the promoter reserves the right to substitute that prize for a prize of equal or higher value.
- The name, address, email address and phone number of the winner must be provided to The Promoter if requested and will be shared to enable fulfilment of the Prize.
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances beyond The Promoter’s reasonable control, the Promoter reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition or these terms and conditions, either in whole or in part, with or without notice.
- The Promoter’s decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner’s (school’s) name and social media username may be posted on the social media profiles of The Promoter after the winner has been selected.
- The Promoter will record and use the successful entrant’s information for its own marketing, planning, product development, promotional and research purposes.
- All prizes must be collected within 3 months of the date on which the prize was won.
- Additional costs may arise if the successful school wants to vary the prize package (e.g. to include more monitoring installations or otherwise expand the scope)
- At the end of the three-year prepaid prize period, the successful school has the option to renew its educational software subscription with Solar Schools at its standard commercial rates at the time.
- Eligible entrants that are unsuccessful also may be eligible to apply for an ARENA subsidy of approximately $2000 + GST towards having a Solar Schools ‘Energy Starter’ or ‘Energy Hero’ package installed at their school, however additional co-contribution costs apply – see https://www.solarschools.net/energy-starter